Looking for a tool that helps you make precise measurements? Are you making some changes to your car, or even working on some home projects? Or are you just a professional engineer? For all of these things, you will need a digital caliper. If you make mistakes while measuring things that can lead to mistakes that can be dangerous when the project is finished.See also:
1. Vinca DCLA-0605 Digital Caliper
This digital caliper has a Vernier scale beside the regular main scale and the company makes it from high-grade stainless steel. It is equipped with a fraction/inch/metric conversion which makes it more suitable for various projects. The results are more accurate and the sliding is smoother because of the fine polished finish. The measuring range goes from six to zero inches and it includes a fantastic LCD which offers great visibility.
You can use this caliper for step, depth, internal, and external measurements, and it is perfect for professional and also personal DIY use. It represents a great addition to your tool collection.
2. EAGems Digital Caliper
This manufacturer makes this caliper from high-quality stainless steel. The overall accuracy is better because this caliper has a construction that offers you easy glide movement. The battery is saved because this caliper has an auto-off/on feature, and it is also equipped with an IP54 rating, which means that it is resistant to liquid and dust.
Another great thing about this caliper is that it can convert between millimeters, inches, and fractions. It is perfect for DIY use and professional use. You can use it to measure outside and inside dimensions and you can also use it for step measurements. The caliper has a depth gauge and you can zero it when you need to for better differential measuring.
3. Mitutoyo 500-196-30 Caliper
The Mitutoyo digital caliper has a sensor that works on electromagnetic waves and it is resistant to dirt, oil, and water. It is a little more expensive, but if you are doing professional work, then you won’t look at it as a waste of money. They constructed this caliper out of stainless steel which means that it is durable. It has a large LCD which offers you great visibility, and it can also convert between millimeters and inches.
You can use it for incremental or absolute readings and you can measure depth, step, outside, and inside values. With a gearless design, this caliper has better versatility and accuracy.
4. iGaging IP54 Digital Caliper
This caliper has one of the biggest LC Ds on the market. It is resistant to splashes, dust, and oil and it can display measurements up to 1/128 inches in four digits decimal and fractional display in SAE mode. If you plan on working on DIY projects, then this isn’t the one for you because it can be a little complicated to use. It is best used by professionals. It is a durable caliper because they made it from stainless steel that is hardened and it also offers a precision lapping finish.
5. Neiko 01407A Digital Caliper
The Neiko Digital caliper has an LCD that is pretty large and is great for reading. It is durable because it is made out of stainless steel. It offers fraction/millimeter/inch conversion which means that it can be used for various different projects.
The caliper also has a locking screw and thumb roller for better positioning and smoother sliding when you are using it. Because of its versatility, you can use it to measure depth, step, outside, and inside. It has two jaw sets and one probe which is used to increase the versatility and accuracy of this fantastic caliper.
6. Clockwise Tools DCLR-0605 Digital Caliper
This caliper is great for both professional and DIY use. This fantastic tool is made out of finely polished stainless steel. Another cool thing is that it has a depthometer groove which increases the accuracy of this caliper, and also makes the gliding smoother when using the tool.
It offers fraction/inch/metric conversion and it has a huge LCD which means that it offers great visibility. The battery on this caliper lasts long because it has an auto-off feature. It also has IP54 protection which means that it is resistant to water and dust. The caliper also features a DTCR-02 data cable and RS232 data transfer.
7. MeasuGator Digital Caliper
This caliper has a stainless steel construction that makes it fit easily in your hand and also makes it last a long time. The caliper has a balancing system when the jaws are open. This is possible due to the lightweight digital module it has and which helps maintain the balance. The LCD is huge, which means that you will have great visibility of the numbers. Also, the sliding action is smooth and quiet which helps you, even more, when measuring.
For easier use, the MeasuGator offers a locking screw, an anti-slip grip, and mode memory. You can use this caliper for differential, step, depth, external, and internal measures.
8. Aickar Digital Caliper
This caliper features construction from stainless steel. It includes a probe for depth measurement and precision ground jaws. The caliper is resistant to insects, dust, and water splashes, almost anything that could affect the accuracy of this tool. Shortly said, it has IP54 protection.
It is a great caliper that is made for either DIY or professional use. It also has a design which allows you to make measurements from zero at any given point on the scale. You can convert between fractions/millimeters/inches only by the touch of a button.
You can use it for depth, step, external, and internal measurements. Another great thing it has is a grooved roller that makes the measures even more accurate.
9. Tacklife DC01 Caliper
This digital caliper is great for various different projects because it can switch between fraction/millimeter/inch modes. By using this caliper, you can measure depth, step, exterior, and interior values because it is so versatile. The Tacklife caliper has a great function called the zero function which can be set to any point you need it to be. Also, this caliper has an auto-off feature which makes the battery last longer because it goes off when you are not using the tool.
This caliper can be used by professionals, but it can also be used by DIY projects. It’s a tool that is pretty simple to use. And another great thing is that it is durable and resistant to water and dust.
10. Rexbeti Digital Caliper
This fantastic caliper can measure in fractions, inches, and millimeters which means that you can use it on a lot of different projects. A great thing about this tool is that you can use it in harsh conditions without worrying about the loss of accuracy. Also, it has a smooth sliding when you are using it.
The jaws of this caliper are machined with lasers which ensure the accuracy. Also, you won’t have to worry about wasting the battery because this tool has an auto-off function which shuts down the caliper when you are not using it, and this way saving up your battery.
How to Use a Digital Caliper
This type of caliper is really easy to use and it requires only a few steps to get you started. However, if you don’t take the right steps, you won’t get the right measurements. The most crucial step is to make sure that you start out from zero. Almost every digital caliper resets itself to zero when you turn it on. If that is not the case, then you will have to do that by the push of a button.
The other important thing is positioning.
When you are measuring the outsides, you will have to place the insides of the jaws making sure that they are parallel to the thing you are measuring.
When you are measuring the insides, you will need to place the outsides of the jaw perpendicular to the thing you are measuring.
When you are measuring depth, you will need to use the depth gauge and place it perpendicular to the object’s surface.
When you are measuring steps, you will need to use the step gauge.
When you are working with small measures, then the best thing is a digital caliper. Because there are lots of different models out there, it can be a hard thing to find the one that will fit your needs. Here we have written a list of the best digital calipers, and also we have written a buying guide for you.
Besides knowing what calipers are available nowadays, you have to understand the things that make the best one for you. In this part of the article, we will discuss various things that you need to look for in digital calipers. Also, we will give you some tips on how to best use the calipers, so you get the best and most accurate measurements.
What to Pay Attention to When Getting a Digital Caliper
This caliper type is mostly used in machining, mechanical engineering, carpentry, and metalworking. It is a tool that can provide you amazingly accurate measurements. When you compare a digital caliper to a dial caliper, you can see that a digital one gives you more accurate measurements and is a lot easier to use. On the other side, being that it is electrical, means that it is more sensitive in other aspects which means that it needs more care.
Most of the digital calipers offer either metric or standard units. Of course, there are others that give you the ability to easily convert between fractions, millimeters, and inches. Some digital calipers give you the possibility to instantly insert the data into a PC or a similar device with a data cable. All of these are things that should be considered when picking a digital caliper.
The best one will have the following features:
- Depth gauge– this feature gives you the ability to measure the depth of a hole as well as the thickness of a material.
- Locking screw– this feature is great because it makes sure that the jaws of the caliper are locked, and this way it ensures that you make more accurate measurements because it won’t slip as easily.
- Step gauge– this feature allows you to measure from the point to the edge of a certain object.
- ABS button- with this feature you can set the measurement to zero when you need to.
- Outside jaws– this one is used to measure the insides of an object.
- Inside jaws- opposite of the outside jaws, this one is used to measure the outsides of a certain object. When you are using these jaws, you have to be careful because they are often pretty delicate so they can break easily.
- Zero button– this feature allows you to set a chosen position to zero and also, this button is often the on button.
- Mm/in button– this button allows you to convert from millimeters to inches. The best digital calipers can also convert to fractions.
- Automatic off– this feature extends the last time of batteries because it makes the caliper shut down after a certain period of time of not being used.
- Stainless steel construction– this feature makes the caliper last longer and also, it adds up to the smoothness of the tool which allows you to glide it easier. That is why stainless steel calipers are more accurate than others.
- Large LCD- makes reading easier because it offers you better visibility, and this way making the room for error smaller.
- Ease of use– calipers that are best for you will be the easiest to operate. They should have sensitive wheels, smooth jaw movements, and readable displays to improve its effectiveness.
- Length– there are various caliper lengths you can find. On our list you can see that every one of them is a six-inch caliper, however, you can easily find ones that range between four and twelve inches. If you are looking for a caliper for professional use, then you will probably need a longer one.
- IP54 protection– this feature makes your caliper more resistant to insects, water splashes, dirt, and dust. Digital calipers that offer this feature tend to cost more, but that is also why they will last longer.
The main thing you will have to pay attention to when searching for a digital caliper is its quality. Even if it’s a little more expensive, the smarter thing to do is to give up a little more money for a thing that will last longer than to waste money on a piece of junk that will break down after a month of using.
The best one you can get will most definitely contain a Vernier scale which is a bonus scale beside the main one.
So we wish you good luck in your search, and we hope that we have helped you with it!
- 1. Vinca DCLA-0605 Digital Caliper
- 2. EAGems Digital Caliper
- 3. Mitutoyo 500-196-30 Caliper
- 4. iGaging IP54 Digital Caliper
- 5. Neiko 01407A Digital Caliper
- 6. Clockwise Tools DCLR-0605 Digital Caliper
- 7. MeasuGator Digital Caliper
- 8. Aickar Digital Caliper
- 9. Tacklife DC01 Caliper
- 10. Rexbeti Digital Caliper
- How to Use a Digital Caliper
- Buying Guide
- What to Pay Attention to When Getting a Digital Caliper